Ornaments, fleurons, and “frilly bits”

Frilly bits” seems to aptly describe what are typically called ornaments, fleurons, vignettes, embellishments, or in some cases, frippery. Type ornaments, also termed printer’s ornaments, have been used in conjunction with type for literally hundreds of years. Of course, nowadays it’s all too easy to abuse these design elements, adding them merely for decoration rather than communication. But in the hands of an accomplished designer who knows how to use them appropriately and in moderation, type ornaments can serve to beautify and enhance a design.

On his blog, Cameron Moll showcases 25 of these “frilly bits”. Unless mentioned differently, these resources are — as usual — free to download and use.

» Ornaments, fleurons, and “frilly bits”

Leave a Reply